Sunday, August 23, 2009

Unattended uninstall of Expression Blend 3

I've had some big problems running MS Expression Blend 3 in my dev VM and wanted to uninstall but the uninstall doesn't render properly (missing buttons) etc. so I needed to do an unattended uninstall to get rid of it. I did some searching and found the proper syntax and thought I'd share.

Change to the folder that contains the xsetup.exe file, on my system it is c:\program files\microsoft expression\Blend 3.

Then execute the following command where the source is the DVD (or location) that you initially installed from. In my case this was the E:\Setup folder on the DVD ISO image I used. The -x does the uninstall, -q runs in quiet mode (unattended). Before you issue the command, I suggest going to your temp folder (%temp%) and clearing out everything. When xsetup runs it will create a log file that will show you what happened on the uninstall and if you've entered the correct path etc. if the uninstall doesn't work properly.

xsetup -manifest:BlendManifest.cab -source:E:\Setup -x -q

No comments: